MUDs

Long time ago, I made a thread involving MUDs, pretty sure it was back on Chaos. Anyhoo in that thread I mentioned a few MUDs and what not.

First an explaination of MUDs for those who dont know.

MUDs are online text base games, basically the grandfathers of MMOs. Basically theres a MUD out there that can cater to just about anyone, cept for those who are afraid of text with no graphics (though there are ways around.) Some would say that MUDs arent that popular now days, but there are still a lot of people playing them and making them due to the fact that they are easy to maintain and build. Not to mention that the text allows for people to use their imagination to see the world instead of a set defined look by art. Basically think of it a real time interactive RP

I dont play MUDs as much as I used to, mainly due to my interest has been in other games. Though lately I have been playing again cause I've been getting so bored at work since no one enters the backup chat while I'm at work to just say hi.

While in the previous post I've posted info on a few MUDs, of which if you want to see a simular list to, you can visit this link on mine and a few other's forum for what the list was like.

As I said earlier I've been getting back into MUDing due to boredom. So what I am gonna ask is, is anyone willing to join up on the MUD i'm playing to play with me? Its a game based off of the squaresoft worlds; Chrono Trigger, FFVI, FFV, FFT, Secret of Mana, ect. It has a job system that is practically the combination of FFT and FFV.

The MUD is called the UOSSMUD (The Unoffical SquareSoft MUD)
Connection Info
uossmud.sandwich.net
port 9000

Those who are interested, yet havnt played a MUD before, you'll need a MUD or Telnet client to access, such as gMUD, Portal GT, among others out there (there are clients for just about any OS out there). I personally use Portal GT cause I'm most comfortable with its setup.

Also I had a interesting thought, though I can see a few people being against it cause they dont seem to like all that text. Rockman.exe: Rogue Network MUD. It wouldnt be all that bad of a idea really. I would think it would have to be on modified SMAUG SWR server. Unfortunately with a idea like this, we'd need somepeople that knows what to do to make it. The most experiance I have in building MUDs is making rooms, Mobs, and basic Items. Though in upcoming months if it gets more and more boring at work.. I might decide to start working on a actual server setup...

The features, from what I remember from talking to various people about weapons that leveled up and gaining abilities I figured some of the stuff wouldnt be that hard to put in, it'd take skill none the less but could be done.

Well shit that idea is really starting to churn in my head... I might as well contact some friends on it that have worked on MUDs in the past...

But anyway, back on topic, I'm on that MUD right now, under the name Sorazoe, cause Sora coudlnt be used since its a square licenced name and only those with a high enough level can get those names.... bah...
I'm playing on a couple of MUSHs, myself. Mostly old World of Darkness ones, since the GM that ran my local game decided it wasn't emo enough for him and switched to Vampire and is now looking at Wraith. Mock him, I shall. Mock lots.
Well after much thought, I have compiled a lsit of Pros, and Cons, of a MUD version/spinoff of RERN. and we'll start with Cons since thats not how it usally goes.

(I should mention that this is not ment to replace the RP, just basically think of it as a fan game of the RP)

Cons

[li]Time Zone differences
    There are many players spread across the world, some in the US, some in Europe, and dont we have one or two in Asia? or how about Africa? Unfortunately this means that not everyone is gonna be able to interact with everyone. Not to mention besides the Time Zone issue, theres also other conditions that could be out there such as access positions. Some people may only be able to join when at work, and there places where they wouldn't be allowed to join on due to work rules and what not.
    [li]Learning Curve
    There is a bit of a learning curve for MUDs. Commands to learn, figuring out where and how to get somewhere. Course this would put some people off. Though people who have spent years in DOS or Linux Root commands would probably feel most at home. For me I grew up in MUDs before learning any DOS and Linux root commands, but it was actually a good place to learn the skills since MUD commands are tweaked and more strait to the point of DOS and Linux root command.
  • The Wall of Text of Doom of MUDs
    Now this seems to be a big issue for many people... They log in and get hit by a large wall of text. Text seems to come in too quick for them to process. There are ways to limit this so its not so much of a problem. But some people still wouldn't quite like it.

now the cons are over with, here are some of the pros.

Pros

[li]Real Time
    With a MUD setup, things become autonomous. Battles are done without the need of a battle mod. Shops can be used to instantly buy items, upgrades, chips, ect. Grind and Play, and interaction with others.
    [li]Functionality
    By functionality, I mean that it could be setup where it'd be easy to add stuff in, leaving a simple announcement to notify. new features wouldn't be too hard to implement, meaning its not impossible, could take a little time, but not impossible.
  • Learning Curse Part 2
    Now basically one thing that gets some people are the overwhelming information that the RP has. the rules, the information, the abilities, ect. Its a lot to take in. With a MUD it'd be learn as you go, and learn by doing. Most MUDs have a newbie school where they teach new people to MUDs or even just to that particular MUD, on how to play it. As for learning on the go, basically that just means you learn to use other commands when they become available for you to use. Such as attacks, crafting, ect.

My next post will have features and goals. Which I'll post probably in a few hours.

Also I do hope to get some feed back on this idea. If I dont get enough interest, I'll probably end up dropping the project idea.
Well, I used to belong to Naruto MUSH and Mega Man MUSH, so I'm familiar with the MUD/MUSHClient systems. However, my old computer died, and I lost my MUSHClient. I'm gonna have to figure out a way to get a different one. What one would work on Windows XP?
@zyborg, a bunch of them, mudconnector lists a bunch, i recommend mushclient, smplemu, and portal personally. some people prefer gmud or zmud.

This post explains features that would be there at the opening of the game, and future goals and features. For those of you who have played MUDs in the past should realize that many of the features, are possible, might be a little difficult to do, but none the less quite possible.

Starting Features

[li]Op/Navi System
    This would basically allow you to RP two characters at the same time. One being your NetOp, the other being your NetNavi. All the while logged into one client. It would also include jacking into networks and what not. Also would include stuff involving the Navi such as Element, subtype, navicust, upgrades. though Navicust and upgrades would be the last thing to worry about with this category.
    [li]Battle System
    Basically it'd be turn based where you choose a command or commands to use in the attack. It also makes it so that you cant use the same battle chip twice in the same battle (with the exception if you have more than one).
    [li]Sig system
    Just the special abilities of the Navi. Create custom sigs with enough points, ect and what not.
    [li]Areas
    Ok something interesting with this is that this is gonna have a interesting approach.. Still deciding on how to have it setup. Could have it setup on a room to room setup which is normal, or a map setup where it shows a map of the area around you and you move that way on a grid. The second would probably be more newbie friendly so it becomes more of the choice to use.
    Another thing involving areas is the net. A config option in the settings would enable or disable the ability to run into other Navis while on the net. Basically a I can see you there for you cant see me. It can be enabled and disabled when ever you want.
    [li]Customizing
    Simple Customizing of appearnces and what not, course there could be a rule put into place that if a character is reported to be obstructive to the enviroment due to its descriptions, would be requested by the higherups to change
  • Multiple Characters
    Now this feature is common among most if not all MUDs. the ability to create more than one account. Some MUDs are setup where its against the rules, or that you can create multiple characters under the same account.
    What would happen is that you would be allowed to have a number of alts. As long as you dont break a few rules involving Second Characters. Such as Mulling. which basically means you cant give items/zenny/whatever from one of your characters to another, and that includs having it hand off to a middle man to do it.

Possible Future Goals/Features

Let me start off with saying, there are some features in the RP Probably wont be implimented, or atleast not in the current plans of stuff. Such things as the Support Program, the MultiNavi system, and possibly a few other things.

It would effectivly have many features the RP has for the characters. Most if not all the features of the RP could be translated over to the MUD, new and old. At the moment, the current goal is to get the basic system completed, then work from there on some other features.

If enough people express interess in this MUD idea, it may be a few months till a basic alpha could be up and running at the soonest, which would probably be kept closed for internal testing till most if not all the basic system is completed. there are a few ideas I am interested in doing, but rather not jump the gun just y et.

Though theres a chance I'd still get the project started anyways with little interest.
Okay. I just signed up on UOSSMUD as Kitsune. This is looking to be a good game.
On the topic of clients, get Pueblo. It's all you'll ever need, if you ask me.
I just looked it over... and it appears quite light for a client. Too light for my tastes really. (might as well use GMud32 then)

On a side note, I'm usually on UOSSMUD between 9am and 3pm (Alaska time)
Heh.

A little misunderstanding and they've already blocked my IP address.

Guess i'll be a little more careful next time.
Lego... I've chatted with them.. and they havnt banned anyone in ages...