Lab test...not really

A cloud of smoke signaled Firefly's arrival as she appeared in the SciLab netspace, already fully armed and armored and ready to go. She stretched her arms and legs, then swiveled her up and body left and right as though warming up before working out. Finally, she raised her left hand to her face. "I'm here," she said, speaking into her palm. "Transferred in from Netopia net with no problems. Now remind me why I'm here? I hope you're not having me blow up science."

A laugh came from the other end. "No, not this time. We're just doing a test run today. Unless we happen to run into any weird superviruses, you're to avoid blowing up any science experiments."

"And you decided to have me do a test run in a lab?" Firefly asked. "It's fitting, I guess, but I think I'm a bit beyond lab tests."

"No, it's...well, you'll find out soon enough. Go have fun."

Firefly snapped to a salute. "Roger that!" she said. As she relaxed again she paused, then said "Wait, what was it the Bavarians said again?"

"Panzer vor?" Trinity offered.

"Yes, that! Panzer vor!" Firefly said, making her way into the network.

[Battle 1]
The tank Navi rolled into the network with haste onto the main roadway of the SciLab network. Its glowing light illuminated the way forward, but very shortly afterwards, her way forward was blocked by three mounted cannon turret viruses, which beeped as they detected Firefly's approach. Laser lights began to attempt to line up the cannons' sights with Firefly, and it was clear that she would have a short time to respond before she would be on the receiving end of a cannon barrage.

// Enemies
Canodumb A: 50 HP (Metal, Front right, 1 move to melee)
Canodumb B: 50 HP (Metal, Front left, 1 move to melee)
Canodumb C: 50 HP (Solar, Slightly further back, 2 moves to melee)

// Panzer Mädchen
Firefly.EXE: 150 HP (Solar)

// Terrain
30% Solar (Main road)
70% Metal (35% on either side of road)

// Battle 1, Ready? Start!!
Beep! Beep! Beep!

For whatever easy-going nature Firefly had out of combat, the moment she heard the beeping of automated turrets detecting and setting sights on her, she was instantly focused. She caught sight of the cannons, set up in a triangle formation with her directly in their lines of fire. Rather than worry, though, the tank navi lit up with excitement. Her first encounter in this network was with giant heavy-duty turrets?

That was spectacular.

"Trinity, you got me a present?" she asked, readying her weaponry. "You shouldn't have!"

"Hey, this is just as much a present for me too, I need something fun to do," Trinity said. "I'm loading you up, go nuts."

"Roger that." With an excited grin, Firefly dropped into a battle stance, locking her weapons into place. After taking a second to assess the turrets' positions, she ran to one side, aiming to line up two of the three turrets. She loaded up a penetrating round, then leveled her 17-pounder at the nearest cannon. A brilliant flash, bright enough that Trinity had to blink even while watching on her PET screen, erupted from the muzzle of her cannon, accompanied by a loud bang and enough recoil to give Firefly the shivers. "Oooh, that feels good," she said, although the words were lost in the aftermath of the blast.

If all went well, the round would penetrate the forward cannon and hit the one in the rear as well, leaving only the other forward cannon. Noticing that the next chip Trinity had sent was an explosive, Firefly reached over to pull back on her cannon barrel, setting it into an alternate firing position where it could be angled. She pulled her arm back and angled the cannon for a lob shot, then shouted "Fire in the hole!" as she fired off an explosive blast that would follow a short arc and come down on top of the final turret.

1. Movement - Line up Canondumb B and C
2. Shotgun - 50 Null to Canondumb B, spread to Canondumb C
3. Minibomb - 50+Blast2 (Mass Destruction) to Canondumb A
Excited enthusiasm might not be the way most individuals react to being threatened with a line of hostile turrets... but then, most individuals weren't, well, tanks. As firefly moved into position for her first shot, the nearest target took the time to draw careful laser-sight marks on her, locking on. It ended up being a futile effort, however, when the tank fired first. The penetrating round was on-line for its two intended targets, tearing through both of them with ruthless efficiency. Just before the shell connected, the back cannon tried to fire a shot back at her, but it went wide by a sizable margin. The one remaining enemy also tried to make a target lock on firefly, but the process just took too long, while the tank-girl favoured the more direct approach of landing a small explosive on its head.

-=Enemies=-

Canodumb A: DELETED
Canodumb B: DELETED
Canodumb C: DELETED

-= Panzer Mädchen=-

Firefly.EXE: 150 HP (Solar)

-=Terrain=-

30% Solar (Main road)
70% Metal (35% on either side of road)

-=Battle 1, Victory!=-

Spoils: 320z, CannonDamage: 60 + Knockback
Accuracy: A
Description: A decent sized cannon with a single shot.
Duration: Once
Element: Null
Trader Rank: E
Once the last turret blew up, Firefly relaxed her stance and inhaled deeply. "Mmm-mm! Smells like victory," she said. "And it looks like I got a bit more firepower from that too."

Loading up and disengaging, Firefly then set off down the solar panel road, deeper into the network. If this was how SciLab's network greeted her, then the rest of the trip promised to be just as exciting.

[Battle 2]

Moving right along, Firefly progressed through the SciLab net looking for things to 'test'. The walkway she was on fanned out into a larger plaza after a way, with a couple of branching paths leading in different directions. she was spared the choice of what way to go, however, by the presence of new test subjects. directly ahead, a solitary IronShield blocked the forward path, guard lowered stoutly towards the tank-girl. for a moment, it seemed to be alone, but the sound of squeaking and chattering off to the right revealed a trio of Ratty clustered around a large green crystal which they were apparently trying to make off with. Decisions decisions!

-=Test Subjects=-

IronShield: 120Hp [Normal][Shield Forward][Directly in front of Firefly]

RattyA: 60Hp [Normal][To Firefly's Right, left of the GMD]
RattyB: 60Hp [Normal][To Firefly's Right, in front of the GMD]
RattyC: 60Hp [Normal][To Firefly's Right, right of the GMD]

-=Tank Girl=-

Firefly.EXE: 150 HP [Normal]

-=Terrain=-

All Normal Here

-=Objects=-

GMD: 20Hp [Normal][To Firefly's Right, in the cluster of Ratty]

-=Battle 2, Start!=-
Ohhh, now this was an interesting-looking enemy. Firefly would have thought it nothing more than a robotic armadillo at first, until she noticed the massive shield raised over its body. Then, as it noticed Firefly as well, the virus let out a surprised noise, and the shield came crashing down in front of it. "Hoping your shield will save you?" Firefly asked excitedly, locking her cannon back into position. "That sounds like a challenge." With a grin, Firefly raised her cannon to engage the shielding virus, only for Trinity to radio her.

"One moment, Firefly," the operator said. "Movement to your right."

Firefly turned to look, catching sight of a trio of rats looking like they were trying to carry off a crystal-like data capsule.

"Data capsules like that tend to be pretty valuable. It's your choice, but you stand to benefit from recovering it," Trinity explained.

"That's code for 'I want to see what's inside,' isn't it?" Firefly asked. "Well, I think I can take both of 'em. Load me up, Trinity!"

Firefly could have sworn she heard a laugh on the other end as chip data entered her system, and the mechanisms on her arms loaded up her weapons. First, she cranked back the barrel to angle it up once again, and fired off another explosive round. Rather than aim it directly at any opponent though, she aimed for open ground between the middle and right Ratty. The bomb soared through the air and came crashing down, where it detonated on impact in a bigger explosion than what was normal for that brand of explosive. Hopefully it would be capable of catching both rats in its blast radius. Then, with that taken care of, Firefly pulled her cannon back into its normal position, then loaded up and fired an incendiary round at the third rat. It wouldn't be strong enough to the rat out, but the moment it hit, it would ignite and cause whatever it struck to catch fire.

And finally, she focused some energy into her legs and made a short dash as an evasive maneuver, trying to put herself outside of the shielded virus's line of fire.

1. MiniBomb: 50+Blast2 - Aimed short and to the right to catch Ratty B and C in the blast but not hit either directly
2. Incendiary Round: 40 Fire + 10 Fire delayed damage for two turns - Aimed at Ratty A
3. Dodge
As was often the case, the ever irresistible call of mystery data proved to be highly distracting for firefly and her operator, and her attention was immediately diverted into clearing away the rats guarding it, while trying, carefully, not to damage the crystal itself.

Aiming the explosive round and gauging its radius was always something of a precision job, and making sure it hit the targets, without striking the prize was difficult — the shot struck true enough, but slight movements from the creatures saw only one of them clipped in the blast. Fortunately, the tank girl had made sure that any unforeseen errors occurred on the side of caution, and the crystal remained unharmed.

In response, the two remaining critters darted forward slightly, then launched missiles of their own, sending their payloads skittering erratically across the field towards her. The first missed her in its erratic zig-zagging, and while the second seemed much more on cours,e Firefly was able to dash out of the way of the attack before it could strike her. Goth, however, began to turn about, zipping back for another try while they still had fuel.

Firefly's second shot targeted one of the remaining ratties, setting it alight in a satisfying gout of fire. The rat in question began to squeak and squeal in panic, dashing about at a greatly accelerated pace, but this did nothing to put out the flames.

Across the field, the Ironshield had prepared its mortars while it had its shield lowered, and launched them into the air with a succession of healthy thumps. The shells rained down on firefly in a broad spread of destruction, and while most of it missed her, it was hard to avoid all of it at once, with a small amount of the shrapnel scoring across her armour in places. After a moment, the virus raised its shield to the upward position, covering itself from return fire from above, and also surveying the area it had just shelled to assess the damage. If firefly was looking, she'd also see that this action presented its main gun for more precise use.

-=Test Subjects=-

IronShield: 120Hp [Normal][Shield Raised][Directly in front of Firefly]

RattyA: 20Hp [Normal][Moving Erratically][On Fire! (2 Turns)]
RattyB: 60Hp [Normal][To Firefly's Right, forward of GMD by a slightly safer distance]
RattyC: DELETED

-=Tank Girl=-

Firefly.EXE: 140 HP [Normal]

-=Terrain=-

All Normal Here

-=Objects=-

GMD: 20Hp [Normal][To Firefly's Right, in the cluster of Ratty]

Ratton Missile A: 30Hp [Homing on Firefly]
Ratton Missile B: 30Hp [Homing on Firefly]
Excellent. That was a good start, and one that Firefly would not let go to waste. One of the rats had been lit on fire, one had been deleted, and the last was presenting itself as a target. The shielding virus was now wide open as well, but...presenting a more dangerous and precise weapon. That was good and bad. Good because there was now less worry about blast radius. Bad because...well, obvious reasons.

Also, a couple of rat bombs were still running around. That was a problem. She'd have to be light on her feet. It was good, then, that she wasn't a heavy or super-heavy build.

Firefly started with another quick dash, this one as much for movement as it was to avoid the incoming rat bombs or the shield virus's cannon. She retreated slightly away from the surviving viruses, putting the mystery data away from the line of fire. Then, she leveled her cannon at the virus that had avoided her explosive attack and readied a heavy round. "I don't have any good one-liners. Little help, Trinity?"

Behind the screen, Trinity chuckled. "You're on your own there."

"Oh whatever. Don't need them anyway," she said. Her entire arm rocked back as she fired the 17-pounder, letting loose a round that would easily blow straight through the rat virus if it hit. And with that out of the way, she shifted her focus back to the shielding navi, continuing to make short but quick movements left and right to hopefully stay out of its line of fire.

1. Feint back to get the GMD out of line of fire
2. Cannon - 60 Null+Knockback to RattyB
3. Dodge
As tank girl back-pedalled and repositioned herself for a cleaner shot and a safer position, the two ratton missiles closed in. Good news for Firefly and bad news for the projectile, their erratic zipping caused them to collide with one another before reaching her, and both of them failed to connect with her. Her own round, fired towards the healthiest ratty, successfully blasted it out of the net, and though the IronShield took its own shot at her, she was nimble enough to get out of the way before it could hit. It seemed like it might try again though.

While this exchange of fire was going on, the burning ratty continued to run, squeaking madly, in tiny, tight circles and didn't get around to firing a shot of its own at all.

-=Test Subjects=-

IronShield: 120Hp [Normal][Shield Raised][Directly in front of Firefly]

RattyA: 10Hp [Normal][Moving in circles, in a panic][On Fire! (2 Turns)]
RattyB: DELETED

-=Tank Girl=-

-=Terrain=-

All Normal Here

-=Objects=-

GMD: 20Hp [Normal][forward of Firefly, to the right]

"What's your status?"

Firefly heard Trinity's voice over the radio as the noise from the shield virus's cannon died. "You're just in time. I'm about...94...95% done with the rats? I'm about to engage the heavy armor," she answered. The rat would burn itself out on its own. But the big armadillo-like tank could still shoot and defend on its own without problems. This...yes, this would definitely be more exciting than pest control.

"Engaging now. Load me up," Firefly said. She locked her treads into position over her feet, using the added traction to give herself a short and sudden burst of speed towards the IronShield. She still moved at enough of an angle to avoid a direct shot...unless it could turn that fast, in which case she could be in trouble. But her hope at least was that by moving into close range, the virus would try to track and hit her with point blank shots rather than lowering its shield and resorting to artillery fire.

But she wasn't about to let up offensively either. She turned towards the heavy armor as she drew near, twisting her body and swinging her arm out as though turning a turret as she took aim at the IronShield. Weapon data materialized over her arm, and was inserted into the 17-ponder's breech. With a squeeze of the trigger, the massive cannon went off, firing a heavy kinetic and armor-piercing round at the massive target.

But Firefly wasn't done there. As soon as the first round left the gun and the fumes were evacuated, another shell materialized and was inserted into the breech. This one was a shaped charge, which would blast through and continue behind whatever it hit. The moment she could, Firefly let the second round loose as well, not wanting to give the IronShield any more time to react than she had to.

1. Feint - Move to close range while attempting to avoid direct shots
*Add break to:
2. Cannon - 60+Knockback(+Break) to IronShield
3. Shotgun - 50+Spread1 to Ironshield
While Firefly engaged the IronShield, it saw that the Navi was too strong for it, and tried to gain some distance between itself and the Navi, dashing away from her. Unfortunately for the virus, Firefly locked herself into a beeline for the virus, and blasted at it with two strong charges, severely damaging it and causing it to nearly fail. Meanwhile, the Ratty was roasted by the flames from Firefly's incendiary charge, being unable to put itself out in time.

-=Test Subjects=-

IronShield: 10Hp [Normal][Shield Raised][Directly in front of Firefly]

RattyA: DELETED

-=Tank Girl=-

-=Terrain=-

All Normal Here

-=Objects=-

Incendiary rounds reloaded. Ready to deploy.

Though the voice was an automated message from Trinity's PET, it came over the radio as though a crew member had said it. And so, Firefly responded with "Roger that" as she loaded up the second charge. The shell dropped into the breech with a satisfying clank, ready to fire once Firefly had a good shot. Which, actually, she still did, since the virus hadn't dropped its shield still. Even so, Firefly didn't want to leave it at that. As exciting as fighting a virus like this was, it meant she couldn't make any errors.

"Trinity, I want some insurance. What else do you have?"

"Just one chip left. It's a bit unorthodox, but perfectly usable," Trinity answered. "Sending now."

Unorthodox was right. The chip materialized not as a shell ready to be loaded, but a completely separate attack program that would deploy on her opposite arm. Really, it seemed more fit for a melee navi. But it would do in a pinch, if fire managed to fail her. "No matter." She leveled the 17-pounder at the IronShield. "It's been fun, but I gotta finish this," she said. She fired, letting the satisfying sound of the cannon blast ring through her ears as she rushed forward into the smoke, turning and veering to the side of the virus in time to put herself out of the line of fire and swing at it with her left arm. As she moved, heavy metal spikes appeared over her forearm, and the machinegun mounted there slid back to allow her to slash at the virus with the spikes.

Of course, she hoped that the incendiary round would be enough to finish it off anyway. But it never hurt to be certain when dealing with an enemy like this.

1. Incendiary Round - 40 Fire + 10 Delayed Fire for 2 turns to IronShield
2. Feint - close in and avoid the line of fire
3. RageClaw - 40 Slashing to IronShield
Though Firefly did have some insurance ready for the beetle tank lookalike virus, she didn't really appear to need it as the leveled incendiary round blew the shield slightly back from the force. With all opposition routed and no more viruses to chase, it was just her and the mystery data, waiting to be unlocked.

-=Test Subjects=-

IronShield: DELETED

RattyA: DELETED

-=Tank Girl=-

-=Terrain=-

All Normal Here

-=Objects=-

-=Battle 2, Victory!!=-
Rewards: EnergyBombDamage: 40 x 3 + Blast1
Accuracy: C
Description: A powerful bomb that hits three times.
Trader Rank: D
Battlechip, 450z [GMD: Open Y/N?]
"And that takes care of that," Firefly said, humming slightly to herself as the smoke did not in fact clear, but continued to rise from the smoking remains of the heavily armed virus. A radioed automated message told her that she'd acquired new weapon data, which turned out to be some more explosives.

"Delightful," Firefly said cheerily. "Trinity, how are we on time?"

"Still got awhile to wait over here. Feel free to keep going. But don't forget to pick up the Mystery Data before you leave."

"Ah, right, I almost forgot about it," Firefly said, turning towards the green crystal. She flipped her treads back off her feet and walked over to it, then examined and tried to open it.

[Open GMD]
The Mystery Data crystal decrypted itself to reveal...!

[GMD: LilBombDamage: 80 + Blast 2
Accuracy: C
Description: Lobs a bomb that deals damage in a moderate range.
Trader Rank: D
Battlechip]
"And inside is...more high explosives!" Firefly said, taking and transferring the chip. With the mystery data taken care of, she made her way deeper into the Scilab network, in search of more viruses to test her firepower on.

((Battle 3))
Content with a fresh haul of explosive equipment, firefly's treck further into the less monitored SciLab nets saw her pass through a broad open area, surrounded by solid metal walls, covered in various access panels and exposed circuitry. for a long distance above, the cylindrical space rose up, with an assortment of openings and bridge-ways crossing back and forth over it at different levels. There was an opposite passage that seemed to lead out of the conflux again, at ground level, but between Firefly and that was another formation taking up most of the middle of the floor. It was a spiralling path that seemed to take on the aesthetics of a swirling whirlpool, visually, even though the pathway itself was simply shaped metal. It circled the chamber, moving in on itself, and also downwards, twisting and tiling in as it did. The path seemed to continue all the way down into darkness, along the outsides of a black void in the centre, but it was flat to the wall beyond a certain point, so it would be anyone's guess on how you were meant to walk on it.

At least, it would be a mystery, until the sounds of sudden movement were likely to draw the tank girl's eyes to the spiral pit. A pair of swift moving Beetank hummed as they scuttled up from the depths. they appeared to be moving along the walls, as though there was an artificial gravity keeping them to the path way, and the pair circled the spiral until they came out of the funnel on ground level, across the gap from Firefly.

Behind them, from the far ground-level exit, a pair of hovering MagTect appeared and began moving up towards her as well, but before they cold square off for battle, a pair of lumpy, grey-green objects dropped from the nearest walkway above, one on either side of the central spiral. It was hard to see exactly what they were, at firs,t as they were covered in camouflage material that blended well with the scilab setting, but whatever they were, they apparently wanted in on this rumble.

-=Next Targets=-

BeeTankA: 80Hp [Metal]
BeeTankB: 80Hp [Metal]
MagTectA: 90Hp [Normal]
MagTectB: 90Hp [Normal]
DynamiteA: 100Hp [Metal]
DynamiteB: 100Hp [Magnet]

-=Tank Girl=-

Firefly.EXE: 140 HP [Metal]

-=Terrain=-

60% Metal [Most of the flooring]
20% Magnet [Scattered Panels]
10% Normal [Patches of non-metallic floor]
10% Missing [The Central Spiral]

Area is circular, with a spiral path in the centre, leading down to a whirlpool-like sink-hole, which apparently has gravity-altering walls to allow it to be traversed. Overhead, the lowest walkway is accessible via a ladder on either end, against the walls. The walkway is all metal, and runs across the area perpendicular to Firefly's position relative the viruses.

-=Battle 3, Start!=-