Mail Check

"So, do you think it came today? I hope it did. I want it so BAD!"

"Keep it together! I'm going to check now, okay?" said Alan as he shut the door behind him.

"Please please please please..." Meltdown chattered to himself.

"Hmmm..."

"Well? Is it there?"

"There's a Datadisk, four postnotes and one postcard from Meg."

"Ohh...." groaned the disappointed navi.

"Oh, and this." With that, he pulled out a box from behind his back.

"YES! FINALLY!" cried Meltdown.

"Yep, it finally came. Once you're fully equipped for virus-battling, I can finally get rid of those stupid ProtectBots from our databases."

"And I can FINALLY get to blast stuff other than buildings!"

"Well, we'll see about that."

Opening the box, Alan took the necessary disks and installed them onto his computer. The programs were to prepare for Meltdown's next upgrade: a new Battle Interface that would allow Battlechips and Support data to be sent to Meltdown while on the net. This wasn't possible earlier, thanks to a modlock which had been imposed on Meltdown's core programming. Now that it had been removed, the necessary software was now being downloaded and installed.

{Installation complete.} the terminal chimed.

"Finally. Can I jack in now?"

"The post-installation tests came back clean. I see why not."

"Off I go then."

{UPLOADING NETNAVI TO COMPUTER...........DONE.}
{TRANSFER DESTINATION: ACDC NET}
{PREPARING DATA PATH FOR [MELTDOWN.EXE]..........DONE}
{TRANSFERRING..........DONE}

{ESTABLISHING NETNAVI LINK.....
.....DONE}

Meltdown's face reappeared and Alan breathed a sigh of relief. So, our first field trip into the big bad world of virus busting. How do you think we went?

I don't know. I took tons of damage, and I only had a couple of battlechips to choose from. Meltdown replied. You know, I just didn't feel as powerful or as quick while I was out there.

Alan chuckled. That's because the online battling data system is still new to your system, and doesn't release your full potential while you're on any network. Until we install boosters and updates to the base coding, you'll never be as powerful as you are while you're on the jobsite.

Oh. That sucks! Meltdown complained.

Not really. That's natural apparently. However, thanks to the data you've already collected from virii, we can go buy some of those upgrades if you like.

What, you can't afford to upgrade me to the max with all the money we have already? he mocked.

That's not fair; I'm only holding back so YOU learn to fight with what you've earned. Otherwise you'd become more insane and snotty than you already are. Alan mocked back.

Oh really?! Well let's go get those upgrades then, mister sarcastic!

Fine by me. Shoving the PET back into its holder, Alan grabbed his coat and headed out the door. Great. Now I get to enjoy an hour-long train ride to the SciLab shop. Oh well, at least there's a place in Electopia that sells this stuff.

Arriving at the train station, Alan walked up the station ticket booth. One for SciLab, please.

Getting onto the train, Alan looked around to see many faces, some staring back at him, some busy with their own PETs, and some caring for either pets or children. Alan walked over to the first available seat and sat down quickly. I hope this is over with quick. he thought to himself.

{LEAVING ACDC STATION}
{NEXT STOP, SCILAB}
{LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, WE ARE NOW APPROACHING SCILAB STATION.}
{IF YOU ARE DEPARTING, PLEASE MAKE YOUR WAY TO THE FRONT OF THE TRAIN.}

Arriving back at ACDC, Alan got off the train and breathed in deeply. "Well, that was... a waste of my time..."

Meltdown coughed from his PET. "Umm, excuse me, upgrading me is not a waste of time, thank you."

"Whatever." replied Alan. Arriving at his home, Alan went into his bedroom and threw himself onto the bed. "Man I'm tired. I think I need to get to bed after all that I've been through today."

"Awww, come on, I need to try these new upgrades out! Don't wimp out on me now!" Meltdown complained.

Alan sighed. "Fine. But only for a while."

.....DONE.}

As Meltdown's almost lifeless body returned into the PET, Alan applied the navi diagnostics tool and watched closely. Nothing seemed to happen. Was he too late?

=========================

It was early morning, and the first thing Alan did when he heard the alarm sound was grab his PET. Meltdown? You there? he asked of his navi.

Hey, it'll take more than that to rid yourself of me. a cheeky voice replied. Meltdown's systems had fully healed, and the navi was ready to go once again.

You had me scared, dude. Why do you have to do everything the hard way? we could've just left the battle, you know. Alan reasoned.

A snort came from the PET speaker. Yeah, but what would be the fun in that?! he replied. After all, you're the one who said I need to learn the natural way, right?

Hey, that's not fair. Sighing, Alan realized this conversation wasn't going anywhere. Doesn't matter. You're alright. That's all that counts.

So, what do we need to do today?

Actually... Alan said slowly.

What? Meltdown replied rather snappishly.

I've got some work to get done in Electown today, some customers want me to double-check a job we did earlier this month. You can just play on the net for a while, and I'll be back with you soon.

But... what do you want me to do on the net without you?

I don't know... find somebody to bust with. You could use some friends.

I don't need friends. That was a lie though. Meltdown liked the idea of somebody to talk to that wasn't Alan. The only problem was finding somebody who would like him.

Look, just head to the NetSquare and meet somebody. It's perfectly safe, and I'll be in contact the entire time if you need me. I'll talk to you later. Alan finalized as he connected Meltdown to his computer.