Massive computer f**k-up

Well...my computer seemed adverse to Windows from the very beginning. Only weeks after first installing it, I realized that the main drive was the F drive, not the C drive.
Naturally, I had to change this. And when I did so, the computer made me re-install windows.

About this time last year, one of the registry files managed to delete itself, and I spent forever fixing that.

Now...I'm pretty sure everything registry-related is corrupt, it restarts every time I try to start Windows, and from what my dad says, the RAM is pretty much fucked up. He didn't use those exact words, though.

Oh, and last time I tried to boot from the CD, it froze up.

So...I've hit crisis number 56. MAJOR crisis number 3, and possibly the biggest one I've had to deal with so far. Don't worry, though. I'm still here. There are two other working computers in my house, and I can still log in from school. All this has done is set me back a bit, and add to the shit I'm having to fight with right now. However, if I can't get this fixed soon, I'll really have a problem. The computer in question was configured for me, by me, over two years of using it. And I can't just use my dad's computer all the time. He doesn't particularly like me using it for anything other than work. And my brother's almost territorial of the other computer.
Aaaaand another one crashes. That makes 3 problems I've heard so far, and like both others, I wish you good luck and a speedy recovery.
Dang.
Sorry about the computer, but it's good to hear you won't be totally inactive.
Get well soon, Hotti's computer.
God, we need a song for this better than another one bites the dust...like Computer Black Parade.

Quote ()

Only weeks after first installing it, I realized that the main drive was the F drive, not the C drive.
Naturally, I had to change this. And when I did so, the computer made me re-install windows.

Well, I hate to break it to you like this, but... A computer defaults the primary HDD Partition to C:, they're hardwired for this, and it cannot be forcibly changed without seriously compromising your software, especially the OS and BIOS. So, having your primary HDD Partition set to F: sounds fishy. Having your Primary Partition set to C:, then having it HIDDEN by an Administrator Account sounds more logical (because it can be done), which means, the moment you shifted the secondary partition F: to C:, you killed your own computer by blowing away the OS. Sorry, but this is the stone cold truth. <_<

Quote ()

About this time last year, one of the registry files managed to delete itself, and I spent forever fixing that.

Also... don't ever touch the registry. Bad things ensue. If you have registry problems, then your RAM is likely toast. Get new RAM.

So yeah.... Good luck getting that fixed.

Quote (PaladinGC)

Quote ()

Only weeks after first installing it, I realized that the main drive was the F drive, not the C drive.

Well, I hate to break it to you like this, but... A computer defaults the primary HDD Partition to C:, they're hardwired for this, and it cannot be forcibly changed without seriously compromising your software, especially the OS and BIOS. So, having your primary HDD Partition set to F: sounds fishy. Having your Primary Partition set to C:, then having it HIDDEN by an Administrator Account sounds more logical (because it can be done), which means, the moment you shifted the secondary partition F: to C:, you killed your own computer by blowing away the OS. Sorry, but this is the stone cold truth. <_<

Quote ()

Also... don't ever touch the registry. Bad things ensue. If you have registry problems, then your RAM is likely toast. Get new RAM.

So yeah.... Good luck getting that fixed.

No, I was the computer administrator. The C: drive was for some reason set to one of the san disk slots or whatever.

Also, I didn't touch the registry. It managed to corrupt itself.
One more thing, the RAM is fine. My brother recently admitted to resetting the computer while it was trying to FIX a damaged registry.

So yeah, I once again have to install a fresh copy of Windows.

Good news is, all my files can be recovered and stuff.
My computer is back up, yaaaaaaaaaaay!
But I had to re-install windows to do so. Noooooooooooooo!

Oh well. I'm fully back now.
Welcome back, Hotti.
Sorry to hear about your computer, though.
Pawn it and get a Mac. ;D
I hate macs. I'm thinking of installing Linux as a backup operating system, though.
Huh... I've absolutely no experience with Linux.
I suggest you go ahead, though. It's gotta be better than Windows.
I'm glad to hear your computer is back up and running, and that it didn't cost you anything to fix.